Tuesday, December 25, 2012

12 Days of Christmas: 1st Day of Christmas, Chocolate Dipped Pears with Almonds


Last year, on my former blog, I attempted to cook the 12 Days of Christmas.  Unfortunately, I got a horrendous stomach flu on day 10 and didn't quite complete it (due to fever, vomiting, and other unpleasantness that made me less than eager to cook--or eat.), but I did enjoy the first 10 days.  And so, here we are again on Christmas Day, the official 1st Day of Christmas.  And I find myself beginning the challenge anew (Minus frog legs.  Once you see those in reverse, you just can't go back for a while.).

Technically, there are books of the twelve days of Christmas.  Not that I've read any of them.  But as it's a long-term oral tradition, I think we can count it as being somewhat literary.  The twelve days of Christmas are the twelve days leading up to Epiphany (Twelfth Night), most commonly starting with Christmas Day itself.

Everyone knows the song.  There are a lot of rumors about what each day's gift stands for, but none of them can be truly verified.  The song is most likely French in origin, but is more common as an English carol.  For my purposes, the song serves as an excellent challenge for cooking.

And so we begin, with the most simple and elegant recipe I've made lately.  I'm known for extravagant concoctions (pig's feet, anyone?), but this very simple recipe is stunning in its ease and subtlety.  The lightness of the pear with the salty sweetness of the dark chocolate and almonds is just... perfect.  This would be the perfect opening for any holiday party, or as a simple but satisfying dessert.

Merry Christmas to all!

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me... a partridge in a pear tree.



Chocolate Dipped Pears with Almonds
(serves 5)
adapted (ever so slightly) from Bakers Royale

5 Red Bartlett pears, ripe
6 oz. dark chocolate
3 oz. finely chopped almonds (or nut of choice)
sea salt, to taste

Melt chocolate in one bowl and mix the almonds and sea salt in a separate bowl.

Holding each pear by the stem, dip in melted chocolate to desired coverage.  Let excess chocolate drip off.

Dip in the chopped almonds.

Let dry on cooling rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment