Monday, January 7, 2013

12 Days of Christmas: 11th Day, Piping Hot Toddy

Pipers piping.  It's a tough one.  I didn't get this far last year and don't know what I would have done if I had.  But this year, stomach-flu-free, I had to decide.  And so I went with what could possibly be construed as a cop-out and made a hot drink.  A piping hot drink, if you will.  (And since there was a tea kettle involved, there was a bit of piping.)

But cop-out or no, a hot toddy is a classic drink that's really perfect for this time of year.  This made a rather sweet version, which was quite fine with me, but if you don't like overly-sweet toddies, you may want to back off on the amount of honey.

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me eleven pipers piping...



Piping Hot Toddy
(serves 1)

1 tbs honey (to taste)
1 oz whiskey, brandy, or rum
Juice from 1/4 lemon
1 c. hot tea
Slice of lemon, to garnish


Coat the bottom of a mug or Irish coffee glass with the honey.  Add alcohol of choice and lemon juice.  Add hot tea and stir to combine.

Garnish with lemon slice and enjoy immediately.



...ten lords a-leaping...

...nine ladies dancing...

... eight maids a-milking...

...seven swans a-swimming...

...six geese a-laying...


...four colly birds...

...three French hens...

...two turtledoves...

...and a partridge in a pear tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment