Monday, January 7, 2013

12 Days of Christmas: 12th Day, The Swanson (Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Leg)

There are many things I love.  The recipe for the final day of Christmas (twelve drummers drumming) combines many of them.  Food that you can eat with your hands, bacon, and Ron Swanson.

I completely love Parks and Recreation.  I admit, I wasn't certain at first.  But I kept watching, with Alec's insistence, and am so glad I did.  Without it, I wouldn't know Ron Swanson.  And that would be incredibly, incredibly sad.  Because he is a man with an excellent mustache, a disdain for the human population, and a healthy love of bacon.  He's basically me.  But with a mustache.

And if I didn't know Ron Swanson, I would never had heard of The Swanson.

And if I had never heard of The Swanson, I wouldn't have had one of the most amazing things ever last night.  And today for lunch.  And there wouldn't be a second batch in the oven right now.

Missing out on all of that would be unforgivable.

What is The Swanson?  That's simple.  It's a bacon-wrapped turkey leg/drumstick.

And making them is just about as simple.  There's absolutely no reason not to make this as soon as possible.

So get going.

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me twelve drummers drumming...


The Swanson (Bacon-Wrapped Turkey Leg)
(makes 4 turkey legs)
from Arkansas Foodie

4 turkey legs
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground sage
12 pieces bacon

Preheat oven to 300F.

Combine spices in a bowl.  Thoroughly rub the spice mixture on the turkey legs.


Wrap each leg in three pieces of bacon.

Place on a baking sheet.


Bake for 2 hours at 300F, then raise temperature to 350F and bake for another 25-30 minutes, until bacon is wonderfully browned.

Remove from oven and serve immediately.


...eleven pipers piping...


...ten lords a-leaping...

...nine ladies dancing...

... eight maids a-milking...

...seven swans a-swimming...

...six geese a-laying...


...four colly birds...

...three French hens...

...two turtledoves...

...and a partridge in a pear tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment